Diet plays a huge role in not only your body’s health but in your mouth’s health. By maintaining a well-balanced diet, you can help your mouth fight against decay and infection. At Brush Pediatric & Family Dentistry, we want you to have optimal oral health, which is why Dr. Chris Fagan, Dr. Tim Fagan and our team strive to educate our patients on what they can do with their diet to keep their smiles looking and feeling great. To receive your own nutritional counseling in Enid, Oklahoma, please schedule your appointment with our dentists by calling us today at 580-233-0043.
Nutrition plays a major and essential role in maintaining a healthy mouth. By eating healthy, your body can receive the nutrients it needs to keep every part of it healthy and working properly. If you do not provide your body with essential nutrients, it may become harder for your mouth to fight off bacteria and infection. This could lead to making your mouth more susceptible to periodontal disease and tooth loss. If you already suffer from either of these or other conditions, having a poor diet may contribute to any infections or disease you may have.
Having a healthy diet is especially important for children and teenagers because their mouths and teeth are still developing. Poor dieting while young can lead to immediate and future oral problems. To help you and your family keep healthy smiles, try incorporating these simple tips into your diet:
- Eat foods that are high in sugars, carbs, and starches during a meal instead of in between meals. This helps prevent these foods from sticking to your teeth.
- Be mindful of how much sugar you eat by reading food labels and choosing foods and drinks that are low in sugar.
- Avoid eating sugary foods if you cannot brush your teeth soon afterwards.
- Eat foods from all five major food groups, and mix up what you eat from each group.
- Plan healthy snacks, such as cheese, low-sugar yogurt, and raw fruits and vegetables.
If you have questions or concerns about whether your diet is affecting your oral health, please feel free to call or visit our office today. We are happy to help!